22 August 2007

amazing grace


O Thou Giving God,
My heart is drawn out in thankfulness to thee,
for thy amazing grace and condescension to me
in influences and assistances of thy Spirit,
for special help in prayer,
for the sweetness of Christian service,
fro the thoughts of arriving in heaven,
for always sending me needful supplies,
for raising me to knew life when I am like one dead.
I want not the favour of man ot lean upon
for thy favour is infinitely better.
Thou art eternal wisdom in dispensations towards me;
and it matters not when, nor where, nor how I serve thee,
nor what trials I am exercised with ,
if I might but be prepared for thy work and will.
No poor creature stands in need of divine grace more than I do,
And yet none abuses it more than I have done, and still do.
How heartless and dull I am!
Humble me in the dust for not loving thee more.
Every time I exercise any grace renewedly
I am renewedly indebted to thee,
the God of grace, for special assistance.
I cannot boast when I think how dependant
I am upon thee for the being and every act of grace;
I never do anything else but depart from thee,
and if I ever get to heaven it will be beacuse thou willest it,
and for no reason beside.
I love, as a feeble, afflicted, despised creature,
to cast myself on thy infinite grace and goodness,
hoping for no happiness but from thee;
Give me special grace to fit me fro special services,
and keep me calm and resigned at all times,
humble, solemn, mortified,
and conformed to thy will.
From The Valley of Vision

6 comments:

overthinker said...

NO FLIPPIN WAY!!

dude. i totally wrote this same thing on my blog last sunday, never had time to post it, and posted it just now. dang.
next time i am so looking at your blog first...hahaha.
on one hand that is so cool how we think alike.
on the other i am so PROUD cause now folks will think i am stealing from you and i want them to think i am not your copycat.

aaahh. pride. just when you think you might have a handle on it, God shows that of course you don't.

Anonymous said...

I need to read that book.

I miss haning out w/ the singles...

Anonymous said...

hey, who's Phyllis? that's my knickname.

overthinker said...

love the new look.

good title. you gotta help me live it out. which i say every other conversation don't i. haha.

oohh someday. seems very far away.

Anonymous said...

is not, it's mine. been mine 4 a while now.

Anonymous said...

u should put some cute pics of Wart on here (that u haven't taken yet!)








edify come from the Latin word "aedifico"...... just learned it......imagine that.